Magong City Office
|Introduction of Mayor of Magong City, Ye, Jhu-lin||Profile of Mayor of Magong
Master’s Degree in Service Business Management, National Penghu University of Science and Technology
Councilor of Penghu County Council
Chairman of Penghu County Veterans Associations
Chairman of Penghu County Service Business Management Advisory Association
Adjunct Lecturer of Dept. of Marketing and Logistics Management, National Penghu University of Science and Technology
Assistant of Legislator Chen, Kuei-miao
Chief of Chongguang Village, Magong City
Chairman of Penghu Travel and Tourist Agents Association
Director of Penghu University of Science and Technology Alumni Association
National Penghu University of Science and Technology Alumni Association
|Message from the Mayor of Magong City|| As the most philanthropic and benevolent spot of Penghu or Piscadores Islands, Magong City is the very pivot to connect all townships, cities and external zones, with bustling construction of industrial, commercial, agricultural and fishery facilities. In this City, there are lots of historical spots and relics; customs and cultures as heritage assets from the Yuan and Ming Dynasties (starting from as early as the 13th century) till the present urbanization. This is, as well, the very core of civil religious beliefs. All these urban assets are expected to be carried on into diversified, comprehensive and multifaceted development city featuring recreational and tourist charms.
Such a city that pleases all its citizens features not only comfortable modernized constructions, but, as well, soft and flexible cultural heritage in combination with the public recognition into a pleasant city. The implementation of the government policies is closely related to future development. From the very small clue, we can expect to see further advanced prospect ahead of this City Magong.
I. Intellectual city
Thanks to the high technology oriented construction, Magong City now becomes more human-friendly.
Market Magong with maximum possible utilization of high technology, the tourism of this City is further developed into advancement.
The city policymaking process is more hyalinized
Make maximum possible utilization of high technology so that all citizens will take firm command of the up-to-date information.
Make maximum possible utilization of high technology so that all potential defects in the urban construction would receive rectification in real time.
II. Cultural innovation
We activate Magong's cultural assets through innovated managerial concept.
Innovate the managerial mode to optimize the tourists-oriented night marts.
Associate with the native cultural characters, we set up the bazaars to help youths build their careers.
We strengthen the theme island tourism to create added tourists.
We map out winter tourist resources to prolong the tourist charms.
III. Industrial integration
We combine high technology and marketing into a whole to boost the managerial mode.
We set up industrial integration platform and upgrade the industrial image and value.
Using the marketing with the technology combined with industry into a whole, we help the local businesses into innovated management.
We help local business set up common brand names to activate merchandise marketing networks.
IV Warm concern about the society
We are concerned about the underprivileged elements to make local citizens of all levels firmly backed.
We set up public nursing centers so that all infants and children receive trustworthy care.
We set up community mum studios readily available to enable women to learn amidst recreations.
We activate community activity center functions and facilities so that both the elderly and the underprivileged people receive reliable care.
V. Environmental conservation
We reinforce environmental protection grounds to make Magong a health and environmental protection advanced city.
We set up environmental protection volunteer teams to better off the green oriented living circumstances.
We highly encourage efforts in afforestation to set up firm environmental protection base.
We follow up the aspiring hands-on experiences accumulated in foreign countries in ecological reservation and implement thoroughly fishery reservation measures.
We put environmental protection rules into strict enforcement to assure the oceanic ecology in sustainable development.
We set up brand name, produce value, market through Internet resources to promote the city, help countryside into urbanization. A city is developed into popular recognition and into superior value. All citizens in this city are proud of being a Magong citizen. This is the very core value of the city as the very momentum for politic development. We earnestly hope that thanks to the spirit of "one mind, one goal", all people, both the local citizens and visitors, would enjoy the superb crabs, seafood and tourist charms even during the Boreas or the North Wind blows. Magong is the terrific choice for tourist charms in all seasons.
|Profile of the City Government Office|| The City Government Office is headed by one mayor who takes overall charge of the city affairs, commands and superintends the entire staff and entities. There is one Chief Secretary as the head of all staff, to take overall charge of city affairs as instructed by the mayor. Besides, there are secretaries, Sections of Civil Affairs, Engineering Affairs, Social Affairs, Cultural Creation, Administrative, Personnel, Accounting Office and Anti-corrupt Office. To better serve citizens and City Government Office staff, there are nursery schools, public retail market management office, cleaning corps.
Process of a change in the organization chart
Starting from January 1, 2013, the Secretariat was rechristened into the Administrative Section. The Section of Conscription Military Service was dissolved and consolidated into the Civil Affairs Section. The Cultural Creation Section was newly set up.
|Organization & assigned duties:||
|Profile of Magong City||Entire area: 33.9918 square kilometers
Administrative zoning: Classified into 33 communities
Population: 61,740 (As of December 2016)
|City badge||Symbol: Magong City is brilliant in prospect and its citizens are wealthy
1. Formatted with Magong City in two Chinese characters
2. The while horse shoe symbolizes the horse in the shape of a harbor, as Magong is a harbor city.
3. The triangle is the architecture of pyramid
|Current population||Over the past three~four decades, the population of Magong City grew from 47,000 to 61,000 (as of 2016) as today (in a scale of 49,000 citizens) in density of 1,812 residents per square kilometer. Most population is concentrated in the downtown and the nearby area, primarily engaged in commerce, minored in agriculture and fishery. In terms of population distribution, as the prime city of Penghu Islands, this Magong City houses a significant portion of the population, from 44% in 1963 to 59.72% as of 2016.|
|Future development||Magong City provides cargo ship and ferry services from Magong Harbor to Kaohsiung Port, Anping Harbor, and Budai Harbor. Magong Airport provides flight services with routes to Taipei, Taichung, Jiaying, Tainan, Kaohsiung, and the routes to the outlying islands, Wang An and Qimei. The air services extend in all directions.
To promote the international status of Magong City, the newly built Magong Airport terminal service has been activated since September 2002, which is Taiwan’s third largest international terminal. It provides direct charter flights to Hong Kong, Macau, and major cities in mainland China with the continuous efforts on providing the routes to other cities of mainland China and become a terminal between Taiwan and China. Since the first flight to Macau in August 2004, Magong City has tapped into the international touring market.
To promote the international status of Magong City, the newly built Magong Airport terminal service has been activated since September 2002, which is Taiwan’s third largest international terminal. It provides direct charter flights to Hong Kong, Macau, and major cities in mainland China with the continuous efforts on providing the routes to other cities of mainland China and become a terminal between Taiwan and China. Since the first flight to Macau in August 2004, Magong City has tapped into the international touring market. It is predicted that Mogon City will provide the direct flight services between Taiwan and China, and international routes. The second stage of the construction of Magong Airport terminal focusing the work on boarding gates and the terminal building was activated in August 2004, serving2 million passengers every year. Since its activation, the terminal has served more than 65 million passengers. We hope tomorrow’s Magong City will be an ideal stop between international route and possess historical attractions for tourists.
|History /Origin||The Origin story of the name “Magong”|
|The Story Behind the name “Ma Gong Cheng”||●In ancient times, people were doing fishing, worship Matsu Niang Niang, and the oldest Mazu temple in Taiwan, Penghu Tianhou Temple, was named “Niang Ma Gong (娘媽宮)” or “Mazu Gong (媽祖宮)” (Mazu Temple).
● Through oral transmission, the historical name “Ma Gong (媽宮)” has become the common name ever since.
● Initially, it was named “Jin Yu” or “Niang Gong Yu”.
● It has other names including “Niang Gong”, “Niang Ma Gong”, “Ma Ao”, “Ma Gong”, “Matsu Gong”, “Matsu Tai, Matsu Ao”, “Tian Fei Gong”, “Tianhou Ao”, “Zu Ma Gong”, “Niang Gong Yu”, “Dongxi Wei”, “Dongxi Ao”, “Dongxi Wei Ai, etc.
● Among these, “Ma Gong(媽宮)” is the most common one by oral and transcription communication.
|Fang Zhi (Local Chronicles)||●In the Kangxi reign , the Taiwan Prefecture Gazetteer (台灣府志)” , by Jiang Yu-ying mentions “Niang Ma Gong Ao” as a “a good place to anchor boats. Here, north and south wind blows. The harbor holds up to 20 vessels. “
In the 12 year of the Qianlong reign (1747), “Amended Local Chronicles(重修台灣府志)” says, “It is said that Niang Ma Gong Ao is located to the south of Dashan Yu, a strong north wind prevails in the winter. The harbor holds up to 20 vessels, which is the best harbor of Penhu. Today, deputy general Jin Shui-shi stationed his troops here” It is said that An Ao is located to the east of Dashan Yu. There is a mud castle ruin built in the old times. Xunjiansi Shu is governing here.
During Qianlong Dynasty (1769), “Penghu Jill (澎湖紀略) by Hu, Jian-wei says, “…. ! Ma Gong Ao is the only one harbor for anchoring vessels even when the north or south wind is blowing.”
● During the Guangxu reign (1893), “Penghu Ting Zhi” by Lin Hao says, “Ma Gong, the major island located in the center of the islands
|The transformation of “Matsu Gong” and “Ma Gong Chen”
||Religion: The Tian Hou Temple in our city is devoted to the worship of “Matsu or Mazu (媽祖)”. Due to Matsu worship, the place to worship Matsu, “Matsu Gong(媽祖宮)”, has gradually become the name of its location, which is a fact with high possibility.
The “Ci Hai (辭海)”(the biggest Chinese dictionary) says, that Ma Gong is originated from “Ma Gong(媽宮)”. “Ma Gong” is the abbreviation of “Matsu Gong”. “Ma Gong(媽宮)” is the abbreviation of “Matsu Gong (媽祖宮)”.
“Taiwan Shi Cheng (臺灣詩乘)” by Chen, Shao-lin (a Jin Shi in 1733, a successful candidate in the highest imperial civil service examination palace graduate) 澎湖環島三十六，歷歷人煙出漁屋。 未須滄海變桑田，結網臨淵食粗足。 我來收泊媽宮灣，舳艫屹立疑邱山。 是時望雨憂如渴，極目園疇斷餘沬。 北風可令濟行船。 喚起癡龍驅旱魃。
In 1796, “Piao Hai Ge (漂海歌)” mentions the phrase “Ma Gong Da Ren”.
Geography: Penghu is a must-pass to the immigrants, the residents from southeast mainland China. The story behind the name of the place is related to “Matsu(媽祖), a sea goddess” since ancient times.
Rituals: The two words, “Ma Gong(馬公)” is the simplified Chinese character of Japanese people. For a long time, the residents popularly pronounce the world “Ma Gong(媽宮)” in Taiwanese language.
The Secretary-General, Liu Ze-min of Taiwan Historica of Academia Historica states the local pronunciation of “Peng hu” is “makyuu”, official pronunciation of Qing dynasty is “Ma Gong(媽宮)”, and the map drawn by a French in 1885 named the place “Makung”; in addition, the Europeans using the phonetic script, “Makong” to transcribe Penghu in telegrams reveals the foreigners pronounce the word according to the official pronunciation of the Qing dynasty.
● Transportation: Penghu or Piscadores Islands have been primarily functioned a shield against typhoon or gust raids from the Ming & Ching Dynasties (Cf. Refurbished Taiwan History) (Penghu used to belong Taiwan County). "Those ships heading for Taiwan must take Penghu as the security shield, input through Siyu, output through Dongji, via Xiaoyang toward Luer, as the regular routes. “
● Schools: Magong Elementary School per its 80-year school history: At the very beginning, they borrowed the Matzu Temple for the makeshift as the schoolhouse, in the name of Penghu Island National (Japanese) Language School. The schoolhouse was later relocated to the old site of the City Government Office (by Magong City God Temple today) and renamed Magong Public School. After relocation in 1933 to the present site, it was renamed Magong First Public School, Hsu Elementary School, known as Magong Elementary School today.
|Magong Administrative evolution||● Ching Dynasty during Emperor Kanghsi rule: Classified into 9 zones. Magong area was known as "East-West Zone"
● Ching Dynasty during Emperor Yungcheng rule: With four zones newly increased within the original nine zones. . Magong area was still known as "East-West Zone".
● Ching Dynasty during Emperor Chienlung rule: In the beginning phase, still classified into 9 zones. Magong area was still known as "East-West Zone". Ching Dynasty during Emperor Chienlung rule: During the medium phase: With four independent new zones newly increased. Magong area was still known as "East-West Zone" and "Shili Au"..
● Ching Dynasty during Emperor Guanghsu rule: Still classified into 13 zones. Magong was classified into two zones as "East-West Zone" and "Shili Au", with the former sub-classified into ten communities (in Magong Community, etc. town communities in total), with the latter sub-classified into 12 communities, in 22 communities in total. When Taiwan Main Island was termed in community (referring to uncivilized society), this term was not applicable to Penghu or Piscadores Islands.
● Three features with Magung Town> East feature as a good pen tail, south feature as a good scull tail and the north feature as a good turtle tail.
● Inside the town were battalion and squad hostels: Including Good Lantern in the south, Good silver song at Copper Mountain and Good Huge Candle at the Target.
● Japanese ruler still carried on the Ching Dynasty system, in 13 zones, with Magong in two zones and 22 communities. The entire 13 zones were classified into five region affairs offices as Magung, Dashan, Dingshan, Xiyu and Bazhao which were changed into "Office Affairs Service".
● In 1909 during Japanese rule. The streets and townships were headed with district governors (Magung Street—Magung District). Magong 2 Zone 1 Street, 21 Townships remaining unchanged.
● In 1920 still during Japanese rule: In local autonomous government, with Penghu changed into county, with zones changed in street towns while the zone community was revoked. The entire Penghu was set with one Street and four towns, Magong Town, Huxi Town, Baisha Town, Xiyu Town and Wangan Zone. (Magung was renamed into Magong as still known today).
● In 1945 under rule by the Republic of China: Magong Street was changed into Magong Township, with Li set thereunder. In 1981: Magong Township was upgraded into Magong City, with 34 community set thereunder. February 1, 2010: Xinfu Li of Magong City was consolidated into Fuxing and Changan Li, with one Li reduced, with the total changed into 33 community.
||● From Yuan Dynasty (1271-1368) and early Ming Dynasty: Patrol Departments were established which were changed into Anfu Department by Koxinga.
● Emperor Yungcheng of Ching Dynasty set up Coast Defense Foodstuff Office.
● In 1886: General Wu Hung-Luo superintended the construction for two years until Magung Town was completed in the construction. Not until 1895 when Penghu was fallen into Japanese rule was the name of "Makung" changed.
● Penghu City was also known as Makung City, referring to the zone inside the city.
● In the period during Japanese rule, the name "Makung" was renamed "Magong".
|Geographical environment||Climate conditions||Year round, the average temperature of Penghu or Piscadores Islands is 23.5 degree C, lowest in January at 16.9 degrees, and 28.7 degrees as the highest in July. Penghu or Piscadores Island is surrounded by seas all where but lack sound vegetation, tending to be heated amidst the sunlight in the summer while we might feel hot and dry even amidst the south wind breeze. In the winter time, the temperature is similar to that in Chiayi of Taiwan Island. Amidst the powerful northeast monsoon, we might feel pretty cold below the actual temperature of 7 degrees. The Tropic of Cancer passes through Hujing Li of Magong City. Except Hujing known with tropical climate, a majority of the City falls within the subtropical zone.|
|Geographical environment||Total area of Magong City is 33.9918 sq. km, and the center is situated at 23.5°. Located in the western side of Penghu main island. Magong City is to the east of Kinmen, to the north of Kaohsiung with the same distance 76 nautical miles. It is to the northwest of Anping of Tainan at the distance of 52 nautical miles and to the south of Keelung in the distance of 195 nautical miles. Penghu Islands are large-scaled basalt square mountains. The hills rise with gentle slopes and reach an average elevation of less than 20 meters. When you take a distant view, the island looks like a wooden plate floating on the ocean. The island is titled to the north and the south.
The highest summit of Penghu main island is Mt. Dacheng with a height of 48 meters. The territory of the city ranges from Xingren village located of the tail of Mt. Dacheng to the extent of Shi Shan and Daan Shan, connects to Xiaoan Shan in Magong Harbor, and separates Magong Harbor into a north and a south part. From the southwest branch of Tacheng Mountain, starting from Jimuwu Mountain, Guanyin Mountain to Shamao Mountain Fenqi Peak, 45 meters above the sea level.
From Shamao Mountain turning northwest toward Magong Harbor via Dichi Line I, in a long snake shape. The spot at the cape is named Snake Head Mountain, opposite to Golden Turtle Head of Magong (i.e., Golden Turtle Head) , commanding the very throat of Magong Harbor, in a magnificent and awesome view. The city area holds the main Penghu Island for the west half and the inhabited island: Hujing, Tongpan and Cetian Island. Including the uninhabited island: Sijiao Yu, Jilung Yu, Niumuping Yu, Sample proofing Vu, Haiqian Yu (Shigong Jiao).
|Geological conditions||Magong Main Island was renewed into the volcanic layer in the composition of pyrogenetic rock in basalt, including sedimentary rock, as the rocky layer formatted after the late the Tertiary period. By the structure, the era could be classified into four groups, i.e., coastal accumulative formation, West Lake group, Xiaomen Yu Group and Fishermen Island Group. The west side coast and the peripheral of Magong City are coastal sandy zone formatted with sand, coral remains, shells, forammiferian shells. Malmstone outcrops are seen south to Xingjen, seashores of Caiyuan Shuanggang, Linan Coast and northeast of fenggui. The columnar shape of basalts appears orderly, formatting into quite unique scenery, especially the areas at Hujing li and Tongpan Li in Magong City, as quite a prominent local characteristics.|
|Local Business and Industry||According to the Statistical Abstract of Penghu County and the Industry and Commerce Census of Taiwan and Fujian, Magong City occupies more than half of the total production of each industry. And the employment structure shows the employees of the second and the third industry together occupy 70 percent of the total (excluding agricultural and fishing employees) in Penghu County.
Such statistics show the unique style of industry development. Magong is not an agriculture and fishing-oriented city. Itsdevelopment model differs from other towns on these islands. Industry and commerce are the major business and services because it possesses a crucial geographic point (a location for outward connecting) making it the major center of agriculture and fishing production. On the other hand, with the realistic or virtual logistical spaces makes it become a transportation hub aggregating nearly almost all industry resources and provide industry and commerce services throughout the City.
|Magong City Office, Penghu County||History||Service address: 4F., No.30, Yongfu St., Magong City, Penghu County, Taiwan
‧Service Tel.: (06)9270122
Our city is the largest city of the county, a major center of education, culture, transportation, and an aggregation of talents with convenient transportation and prosperous business. Since the reforms starting from 25 December 1981, the Mayor and Elected Representatives of each session are in partnership of promoting self-governance practice, building city infrastructure, improving welfare and promoting the living quality of the people to advance the city to a modernized environment by putting into all possible efforts.
Our city is the only city in the County, and a multimodal transfer terminal for land, sea and air transport. In the aspect of aviation, the newly built Magong Airport Terminal has been already activated, and provides charter flights to Hong Kong and Macau. In addition, the International Regatta held in the ocean of Guanyinting has promoted our County to an international status. To welcome visits from national and international VIPs, travel groups for supervision, our council will be a great host to welcome them.
Chairman of Magong City Council Chen Yong-peng
‧Act and Regulations of Magong City Council
Magong City Council is in one chairman, one deputy chairman and twelve members. In one sectary managing session affairs, personnel and general affairs.
|List of City Council Members|
|Introduction of City Council Members|